Saturday, May 10, 2014

A goodbye to our old home




I flew back Thursday night to pick up the Jeep, drop off the keys, and drive the jeep back to Lexington.  Harold wouldn't let me say goodbye without one final photo - yes that's my Harold.

It was an awesome house for the time.  As Jon's Parkinson's progressed, the very things we loved:  the huge windows in the stairway, the stepdown living room, etc proved problematic.  It was time.  It was time to say goodbye and hope my lovely realtor can shortsell the home for us.  I hope another family finds it as lovely warm and opening space as we did.

Speaking of said realtor - she was able to make a great trip to Paris so I didn't get to see her.  I was a wee bit jealous then I remembered just how much I hate traveling.  The trip to get the jeep cemented that.

I worked all day Thursday then drove to the airport (a scant 15 minute drive).  I had to fly to SC to get to DC - sadly you cannot fly out of Lexington to BWI - my airport of choice.

By the second flight I just wanted to be back somewhere where I could lay down.  That was before the cab ride out of DC - a very pricey ride but well worth it for one who refuses to drive in that maze of messed up roads and confused drivers.

We finally got to Laurel to Em's house to pick up the jeep (where she had graciously been keeping it for me).  She also graciously offered to let me stay at her house as she is out of town on a cruise.  I opened the door and immediately her BatCat came running thinking I was Mama.  Then every noise I made here he'd come wanting her.  He was so upset that I left the key, locked the door, and drove to find a motel room.  Poor kitty.

Then the next morning came the 9 hour drive.  Well it was supposed to be 9 hours.  However I had storm fronts near the entire way which not only slowed me down but blew my gas mileage completely out the window.  Then on I68 in WV there was an accident that shut down both sides of the interstate.  I started to grumble then heard up the line that lifewatch had been called in.  Here I was in a reasonably comfy vehicle, ac, enough money to get a hotel room if I was running too late and thinking of myself instead of the poor people who were in the accident.  Harold slapped my hand but good over that one.

After about an hour we were back on the road only to run into thunderstorms most of the rest of the way.

Did I mention I really hate traveling?

By the time I got home I was so sore and so tired all I could think of was pizza and bed.  But that would have been rude to the happy welcoming committee that all wanted me to reassure them I wouldn't leave again.  From cats to bird to Jon they hovered and followed ... I think they miss me.

Home is definitely where the heart is.  My heart is here with my loving husband and affectionate creatures.  While I often long to explore, I believe I'll leave my exploring to short trips and via the internets.

I took the photo above on Thursday.  Somehow - to me - the place looks sad without us.  however my heart is truly in Lexington now.

No comments: