Saturday, May 17, 2014

Downsizing - it ain't for the faint at heart



No I cannot take credit for the graphic but I am finding the wisdom within it.

Going from a townhouse to an apartment has been interesting.  I'm very glad I didn't try to bring my dining room furniture because there is no way it would have fit.  We just brought the table and chairs.

Of course that means that I now have no place for my china or glassware.  Every piece of furniture from showcases to china hutches were all just way too big.  We're trying to minimize the used space and maximize the empty space.  Not easy in an apartment but necessary for Jon.

Enter Amazon and the curio cabinet.  I found two that would fit in the small corners of the dining area.  While I absolutely loathe putting together furniture, there really isn't a furniture place here that sells small minimalist stuff.  Welcome to the heartland eh?

While surfing on amazon I also found two night stands and a headboard that Jon liked so I guess I will be putting together furniture for a while.

Should've brought my power tools I guess.

We also ended up needing to purchase a new washer and dryer.  Jon and I cruised the Lowes store here in Lexington and he picked an energy efficient set.  While I was dubious, I must admit that while they use less water and electric, they do an absolutely awesome job.

Our only real issue has been the kitchen trash.  We tried the under-the-cabinet route and hated it.  So I have a trashcan in the dining room now.  Less than perfect but we will work on that one as time goes.

Now to try and find an entertainment unit that can do double duty and house most of our books.  A challenge to be certain.

What do you want to bet I end up on Amazon and having to put it together as well?

because apparently less is more doesn't apply to the best of the best books that we couldn't leave --- which equal 9 stacks about 5 foot high in the guest bedroom.  Who knew I had 3 copies of In Cold Blood?  Who knew how hard it would be to choose which of the 3 copies I would take?

No comments: