Wednesday, October 5, 2011

extra garlic - tabasco optional





Two random thoughts:

I prefer spicy and savory over sweet
This photo - while not spicy - speaks to me of the relationship between fluid and stationary.

Jon has a meeting today with HR to discuss going on full time medical disability.  It's time.  His work is suffering and his health is suffering.

Still - it's sort of an end of an era.  We knew it was coming but wanted to put it off - and thus embrace the semblence of normalcy - as long as possible.

It's just no longer possible.

Harold - and the changing of the seasons - have helped keep my sanity of late.  Whenever I want to crawl in my dark black hole and hide from events that have overtaken, Harold spots a tree or a bird and I can see the wonder in creation.  That allows time for my type-A overplanning brain to take a break and for me to take a breath.

Amongst the other issues that are more than obvious, is the loss of sense of self that retired persons can face. Jon feels like he's let me down, so I spend an enormous amount of time building him up - his self-esteem, his sense of worth.  It's tough.  It's tougher for him though.

However, as I often remind him - We Are Together.  THAT is what counts.

This weekend we shall wander about The Grove and celebrate being together.  October 15th it will be 10 years since I moved out here.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.

2 comments:

Cris said...

I too prefer spicy over sweet. I know this is just another step you two are taking. Jon sounds much like Tim when he became ill - it takes so much energy to reinforce and reassure and nurse and keep watch. But being and being there together will get you through. Thinking of you. xxxooo

Unknown said...

I miss Tim. I miss the way he could cut through the bullshit and give an honest, concise opinion.

It does take energy to keep them propped up but I'm so much more fortunate as Parkinsons is just a major PIA - it's not life-threatening.

Love you dear lady.