Thursday, November 8, 2007

What happened to Autumn?




We have went from near summer weather a couple of weeks ago to snow in Erie PA this week. That might have something to do with the sense of imbalence many are feeling but I blame the Christmas music that showed up the week of Halloween.

Yes the last week in October one of my radio stations started playing Christmas Carols. This week my HR director started playing Christmas music on her XM radio.

Call me a Scrooge - you're entitled - but I refuse to turn on Christmas music until the week or so before Christmas.

Now we're seeing all the buy-me buy-me buy-me commercials. The one that (currently) sits my teeth on edge though is the one where they're all going to Grandma's house and the mother just wants to go home and open her new Best Buy package so they drive up, honk at the old woman waiting patiently on the porch, then roar away laughing.

What lesson does that teach?

I prefer one of my favorite Christmas commercials from my youth. I do apologize for the quality of the video but I bet it is enough to jog your memory:




the picture above is from Christmas 2006

5 comments:

nightowl said...

No Autumn here either, still fels like Summer, sunny and warm. In Summer nights are usually windy here in Lisbon, now they are wonderfully warm and still. It makes a sharp contrast with Christmas decorations.
Have a lovely day, Steph, I posted two poems you will enjoy, check my Blogger and WP, hugs.

Unknown said...

We're finally getting cooler weather here. I thought of you the other night when Jon said that A Christmas Carol was like Dickens gone Poe (thus explaining my love of it).

I thought "I got nuthin but I bet Lina would know what to say."

Sandee said...

80 degrees here yesterday... It's hard to celebrate Christmas before Thanksgiving. It seems like it's all running together these days.
I have to agree about the tasteless commercial from Best Buy. As a matter of fact, based on this alone, they will not see me in their store this year. And people wonder what has happened to our youth.
:)

Unknown said...

80 degrees? sheeesh Sandee - I thought y'all were supposed to be cooler than us.

I've thought of boycotting Best Buy this year for that very reason.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I hate that the xmas commercials start right after Halloween, Thanksgiving is the forgotten holiday.
I hit the mute button or change the channel when I see those commercials, they annoy me. And I Hate xmas music so early. I do like it in Dec but not in Nov. Too much too soon. I'm lucky this year going to miss most of it with my bad foot, still outta work, so I'm not subjected to it for now.
Its like fall here I guess, its cold and damp, but the leaves are starting to change. Its weird to see green leaves on trees in Nov.
I do hate winter tho and wish for warm temps, but alas I know this is but a dream.