Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Adjustments



Isn't it amazing what a month can bring? It's been near to a month since the diagnosis. Since then I've learned more about Parkinson's than I ever wanted and still know basically nothing.



  • I now know that you cannot get life insurance with a diagnosis of Parkinsons.

  • I now know that you cannot get long term care insurance with that diagnosis (ok I predicted that one).

  • I now know that protein levels are important. Protein often makes the medications wear off too soon. Therefore we juggle when proteins are consumed.

  • I now know that this illness (whether the illness itself or more likely the medications) *can* affect the immune system. However the neurologist seems unconcerned over the fact that there is also history of asthma.

  • I now know that even though many strides are being made, not all treatments work for all patients and most things only work for a short time (in the grand scheme of long term maintenance medication).

Plans - more plans, fewer plans, what to choose to do and what not to choose.


  • I am picking up my health insurance at work just in case because then preexisting conditions don't come into play.

  • I am trying to estimate what we should invest in the house figuring that we will probably have to move to single level in 5-7 years. I hope it's not sooner. I am really hoping for more like 10 years.

  • I am researching bus routes and mass transit - again just in case.

  • I am a frequent visitor to michaeljfox.org because sometimes I have to take a break from the multitude of information out there. Small doses.

  • I am not sleeping. I plan even in my dreams. Plans that change, alter, rearrange in hopes of finding the best possible solution.


However - I *am* coping.


Yes the *I* word is all over this blog. He has his own blog he can blog about what he wants to blog about. This one is mine.

the picture above is just a rainy photo from out my front door taken sometime in 2006

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Steph you need to take this slowly. While it's great to be well informed and prepared for the future, you can't foresee everything.ou need to accept that there will be things you have to leave aside for now. It worries me that you aren't sleeping - you will worry, but try and worry about just one thing at a time - ok?!

You can be as meme as you like, that's the beauty of blogging.

Unknown said...

Thanks Fran. Actually not sleeping is my reaction to stress. I *try* to sleep but I wake up every little bit with an idea or solution to a situation. I know if I ride it out it will ease and eventually taper off to my semi-normal self.

Trying to know and plan everything is sadly how I tend to cope with things I can't control. That too will taper off with time when I quit fighting it and finally learn acceptance.

You're a dear friend - thanks Fran :)

Sandee said...

Oh Steph, I am so sorry you and Jon are going through this. Try not to overwhelm yourself. Remember that each day has 24 hours, and this diagnosis has so many faces and so many schedules of its own that you will have to just deal with a lot of the issues as they come up. It was SMART to pick up the health insurance. Be at peace knowing that you are making good decisions already. You have the brains and ability to continue making good decisions. Call on me anytime.

Hugs! :)

Unknown said...

By knowing that all this will taper off, you are already on the road to acceptance. Big hug.