Thursday, November 1, 2007

To blog or not to blog




or more appropriately which platform among the many to use?




I was a loyal 360 blogger for near to 2 years (from October of 05). One of my more successful endeavours (The Friday Five on 360) was either hacked or lost through Yahoo bugs. Either way it was there one day and gone the next after weeks of inability to access.




The 360 crowd were there and then there and then there and now some are back there awaiting a new Universal Profile (ala Mash?) due to come sometime next spring.




Others of the 360 crowd headed over to Multiply.




Soon the new 360 was Multiply and as such the bugs started, the problems started, the drama started.




So I posted on my Multiply blog (yes I have one) that I am getting off the merry go round. The social networking sites are fine but once you get started it can become near an obligation. The drama starts. The friending/defriending/threats to leave etc starts.




The headaches start.




Then it's oh so easy to forget *why* you blog. Some do blog for the sole purpose of others reading. Some blog to pass information to others. Some blog to make a statement and others still chronicle their lives through words and pictures.




I blog simply because Harold likes to talk sometimes. Simple. For any people who might not know, Harold is my muse. Sometimes he's creative. Often he's funny. Even more often he's wickedly sarcastic and a bit intolerant (wait - that last one is me). Mostly he's the little voice that begs to write knowing full well that I'm better with numbers than words.




Why do I blog?
Because I can't not blog.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm also wearying of the whole 'social blog' scene, I just can't stand the drama and the nonsense. I began blogging to write and that started to get lost amongst all the other hoo-ha. Oddly I now feel freer on 360 than I have in ages because hardly anyone visits now, very liberating!

Unknown said...

hmmmmmmm cyberland ate my first comment hehe

I know the feeling about 360. I'm not back over there but it does feel ever so quiet. Then again I have 13 people on my list (unless someone ditched me in the last few days).

Here I'm blogging for me which is what I need to do right now. If I'm up for the social scene I know where it is.

JBinford-Bell said...

Because I cannot blog. Boy! Isn't that the truth? Here I am with Blogger and one of those waiting for the seachange at 360. Yes, even a disenchanted Multiplyer.

I came so close to swearing off blogging forever when the negativity was running so incredibly high at both 360 and Multiply.

I found out I am not that thrilled with social networking. But I must blog. Ergo Blogger.

Unknown said...

Very well put. Ergo Blog.

That would a rockin name FOR a blog. Now if I could only conjugate Latin.

Cogito Ergo Sum Cogito Ergo Blog?