Monday, October 29, 2007

The Daily Zen for October 29, 2007


Recognize as the basis the mind

That does not pursue things.

In the midst of your daily activities,

As you attend to things and

Respond to things,

Always rely on this mind that

Does not pursue things.

As soon as your mind starts to pursueThings, i

mmediately gather it back in.

Stay with this for a long time, and you

Will gradually become ripe.



I like this one. I've always been the biggest opponent and naysayer against a utopian environment as sadly we are not a self-actualized species and, as such, identify with possessions - with THINGS. It's as much of who we are as homosapiens as our opposable thumbs. Even the smallest child or the most developmentally disabled person can and often does identify their surroundings and theirself with objects. Later, a personal style sometimes develops and yes that involves more objects - more things.


That is not to say we can't rein it in when we start focusing on things -- start 'pursuing' things if you will.


Remember you own things; do not let them own you !

3 comments:

nightowl said...

I have a new hangout, Fran told me about it:

http://mezzosoprano.wordpress.com/

I'm no singer, I haven't joined the mafia, but I'd love to be a mezzo. There's lots of space there, soon Multiply will be history too.

Unknown said...

I added your new one to the links list. I agree I think Multiply might have an end similar to Yahoo.

For now I surround myself in comfort and the known and that is blogger. The nicest thing is other people from other platforms can comment and read (as in Wordpress).

I have to LOL @ you joining the mafia ;)

Unknown said...

When I split up with my first husband I left the house with just a bin bag of stuff, a very scary but ultimately liberating experience. I am very very attached to 'things' but can let them go easily too.