Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hittin The Road


This weekend we make our trek to Lake Anna Virginia to attend The Virginia Renaissance Faire.  While it's a bit of a drive, we've found the positives outweigh the negatives.

  • Plenty of places for Jon to sit
  • Nice lil pub - and as of two years ago, I invented remote ordering.  I'm standing in line, wave my mug, and my beer is ready when it's my turn.  Sweet.
  • A very good friend runs the faire and we always support our friends.
  • Sonic in Fredericksburg
  • Cheap hotel (in Fredericksburg) with a pool !
So basically we go down early Saturday morning and stay until very early Monday morning coming back early to beat the traffic.  This faire is one of Harold's favorites.  It's in the woods but has clearings to watch the clouds.  Michelob Ultra is on tap at the pub.  It's a fun atmosphere but never too crowded.

As time has progressed - as has the Parkinsons - Jon and I have to make careful choices about where we go and what we do.  Airline travel is no longer an option.  Very long distances in a car isn't much better.  However, knowing we have a hotel to go back to and just relax helps set his mind at ease.  We've also learned that even if we're only somewhere for a couple of hours, the fact that we came at all counts.

Harold's been complaining that I've promised him a cruise for a few years.  With my work schedule (no backup for my job), taking a full week off work isn't possible.  The only cruises out of Baltimore are 7 or 9 day ones.  He keeps reminding me that I've paid my dues and I deserve an entire week off.  I keep reminding him that beer is NOT free.

....and he says "but the sunsets and sunrises ARE - as are the memories you need to savor NOW while everyone can still go.

all 3 of us apparently - 4 if we schlep The Divine Ms Em along.  If I get tired, she can go barhopping with Harold ... but with them two I'm keeping the camera safely with me. 

the photo above is from VARF from 2009 I believe.  Yes it's the sign signifying the pub - as if I couldn't smell Mich Ultra a mile away :)

2 comments:

TheDivineMsEm said...

LOL - I am so there....and apologies for taking so long to get the hint and visit you here :).

So, the word verification I need to use is sucalin - which seems like a perfect way to describe being back to work today.

Unknown said...

No apologies. I've had this blog around for ages - it's for my muse. Picky snit thinks he needs his own.

Sucalin? Oh I'll definitely agree with that !