Thursday, August 12, 2010

Voyeur anyone?


I think in some form or fashion we're all voyeurs at heart.

Having just recently hit Amazon dot com in search of reading material, I found myself ordering a book on JFK, the one above on Marilyn Monroe, and wondering if there was a good John Lennon biography out there.

These are not obscure works (like The Mullendore Murder Case which is out of print and dreadfully expensive) but rather popular books.

Why do we want to know so much - and so much more - about the famous and infamous people?  Is it voyeurism - a wish to see inside their private lives in hopes of a glimpse of something tawdry?  It is because they are or rather were famous and we want to see what made them tick?  Maybe figure out why they were famous?  explain the magic?

I don't know the whys and wherefores - I just know that I'm not the only one.

but I am probably the only one reading this who ever read The Mullendore Murder Case.  's ok - if you're not from rural Oklahoma, you probably didn't hear about it.  I bet you heard about Karen Silkwood though ........

2 comments:

Cris said...

Once read a biography of Elvis that left the indelible memory of a bloated body on toilet....generally I prefer the myth in my celebrity stories. Be prepared for lots of Kennedy gossip in Monroe book.....

Voyeur, but not to the prime power.

Unknown said...

Oh Cris I figured I would get lots of Kennedy gossip. I remember reading Cyrus Wrecht (sp?) mentioning that the treatment for Kennedy's Addison's could cause sexual issues. LOL having been around someone who took Mirapex, I'd believe it.

I don't know what the voyeuristic tendencies are of most of us (of course present company excluded). In my case, I'm naturally a nosey person and I love biographies. For others, I cannot speak.

btw - I should have my JFK book later today (cannot remember the title exactly but it was something like JFK why did his life and death matter). I've read so many different things here and there (and yes darling Cris, I have the Look magazines from then - courtesy of my late grandmother) and still I wonder. I know Tim did as well.