Thursday, February 21, 2008

Guilt, recriminations, and the mantle of responsibility



We finally have a definitive diagnosis on Mom: primary lung cancer with mets to the lymph nodes and possibly other areas/organs. We're waiting on a PET scan for that.

I find it a tad ironic that there are visits with an oncologist and discussions of chemotherapy when the woman weighs 90 +/- pounds and has no reserves. She'd never survive the treatment...even if it was an option.

Hospice is the next order of business. Well next after she is released (if she is released) from the rehab hospital.

I will quite possibly find myself caring for my mother while she breathes her last. This is not something to take lightly given the - at times - the friction in our relationship. However, she knows as well as I that I'm trained to do it -- I did this for years. It's not something that is easy.
It *is* possible though.

We don't know how long she has left. Well not officially. I look at her and wonder if 'months' is being overly optimistic. Her time left could easily be measured in weeks or even days.

I'm so very thankful for Jon. The poor man understands me well enough to know that I need to be able to plan and think to table the grief for a bit. He knows, he understands, he allows me to deal with this the best way for me.

For that I will love him always.
the picture above was taken on the Duck's Tour Washington DC 2007 on the Potomac River.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this Steph. My mum and I nursed my dad through end stage lung cancer but I had always had a close relationship with my dad so I guess that made it easier for me in some ways but at 22 it was a big responsibility. Look after yourself otherwise you will be no good for looking after her. Take care

Wendy J

Unknown said...

I just reread this post to realize that the 'days' was right in the prognosis: she did die 5 days later.

It's a big responsibility to care for someone else and @ 22 that's awfully young.

I'm glad I didn't have to go that direction. I *could* have -- I'm trained, I've done it before ... just not with a close relative. Plus I know Ma - she was really a crappy patient (most medical people are).

So now I grieve and move on.

Thanks Wendy :)