Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Revival of Art Sunday


A side note - I seem to have more the fondness for blogger so I believe this will probably become my primary blog.

The above landscape (painted in 1598) is by Flemish Baroque painter Paul Bril and it's titled Fantastic Landscape. It's currently on display at The National Galleries of Scotland (in I believe Edinburg). I enjoyed the pastoral scene coupled with the magickal colors and scene in the background. A transition between mystical and pastoral a good example of the bridge between Renaissance and Baroque.



I thought with the return of (at least my participation in) Art Sunday, I'd try to offer music of the era as well as a more detailed explanation of the work and the artist.

from www.nationalgalleries.org

This small painting on copper is a fine example of Bril’s imaginary landscapes. He used the established convention of dividing a distant vista into coloured bands to suggest the idea of receding space, from the warm brownish foreground, through to the lighter greenish middle ground and the cooler blue background. Bril also combined elements from his native Netherlandish landscape tradition, such as the twisted tree trunks, rocky outcrops and steep sided river valley, with his interest in classical fragments and architectural ruins. The lively figures provide colourful accents and some human interest.


This was a unique era in art and music as it's the bridge between late Renaissance and early Baroque. Bach had yet to be born in 1598. The music was still of the rebirth from the dark ages. The musical artist I chose to feature is Josquin des Prés (or Josquin Desprez). I searched for his more famous work and just could not find it in MP3 form which isn't surprising though I do find it sad. Regarded as one of the more influential composers of the late middle ages, his masterpiece is Missa Pange Lingua and is considered an important work of the era and a fine example of Flemish-French Polyphony.

So for today's Art Sunday I bring you the 1500s in a Flemish artist and composer. See if you can see the parallels in richness of tone and style.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, and such a lovely presentation. And can I say that your page looks beautiful? Thank you.

nightowl said...

So this is where you hide. Lovely, beautiful page, I like Blogger very much, better than I like Multiply. Thanks for being on Art Sunday, I hope both you and Jon are doing fine, hugs.

Susan said...

Really beautiful painting, nice choice for today.

Unknown said...

Thank you Fran. I found your new page - thank you for sending the link.

Yes Lina, this way I can blog mostly for me - and keep things small. I believe this will be my primary blog unless Yahoo pulls a rabbit out of this particular hat.

:) Susan we had a few that went with the late 1500s early 1600s. Interesting.

Intelliblog said...

Bril is brilliant! I love Flemish painting and the glimpses of landscape visible in backgrounds are especially beautiful. Godo to see you here, Ms Spaghetti!