Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Maryland Renaissance Festival wrapup


Yes I know I should have done this two weeks ago but things happen dontcha know.

People ask why I go every weekend (that I'm able) every year. The simplest way to explain that is each year is different. My first year we only went twice and we were still almost touristas. The 2nd year and 3rd year was spent nearly exclusively with family. Year 4 brought time with new friends and year 5 brought the wenches guild and becoming aquainted with those lovely ladies. That opened up an entire arena of new friends - friends I leaned on this year who knew something was very very wrong but either wouldn't press or respected my privacy and didn't ask.

This year brought a renewal of friendships to the lovely lads of Cercamon (less Jean Simone Blanchet who opted out of the group to raise a family) and the forging of friendships with (and a greater appreciation of) other groups as well as the discovery of new friends; we saw new acts and old acts and mourned a favored vendor who had passed after season last year.

This year also brought a lot of personal and family issues so we missed many days. We not only missed many days we were missed on many days. That reminded me of the strength of the friendships that I'd maybe not taken for granted but I hadn't fully appreciated.

Each year I remain in awe of the magic of a place that is nothing more than dirt paths and buildings. Each year I am taken away by this lovely group fantasy we participate in.

May next year be equally beautiful.

For now - PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

JBinford-Bell said...

I did not do the Renaissance Festival I usually do this year. Too far to drive with gas prices too high. And they even put me on the front of their brochure.

Glad to connect up with you here on Blogger. I think this is by far my favorite place to blog. And like you I have been thrilled to trim friends on 360. Am still there because I want to see what they come up with. Tried Multiply and deleted it in a week. It is Mash with a blog and without privacy and was rapidly becoming a bigger zoo than 360.

So I am here blogging and will put a link to you page on mine so I can check in. I too really love the blogging and not the social frenzy. Blogger suits me fine.

Unknown said...

That's sad that you had to miss faire :( Our Masque sellers had a banner year this year.

I am nearly to the point of deleting Multiply myself. I don't find the format all that easy to use and honestly the people that I was concerned about keeping up with have found me on here or *can* find me on here.

I've kept my 360 open just in case they do something right for a change. I shall not be holding my breath though.