Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Whatever happened to ????


I have to wonder whatever happened to customer service. I see it in so many different little ways, where we - as the customer - should be grateful to be helped.

However, I'm finding in the land of donated items it's worse.


Mother had an odd request: before her death, she had requested her clothing, shoes, etc be donated to AmVets. Attempting to honor that request, I sent an email to the AmVets website with an explanation that my mother - a Korean era Army Veteran - had requested her personal items be donated with them and that she had quite a few nice items.

I received an impersonal email stating to call ###-###-####. I called. I go through the schpiel again. I am interrupted to be informed that they won't have a truck available until sometime in June.

June? oooookkaaaayy. So I think, well - maybe a Veterans Affiliated donation place would work eh? What about Purple Hearts?

They have never returned my call. Yes I left the schpiel.

What about the Vietnam Vets place in Silver Spring? Well I emailed them because the online request for pickup gives a server error. They were supposed to acknowledge if they were available for pickup this Thursday. That's their scheduled date in this area but you just never know.

I have yet to hear from them either.

Seeing as how she had over 15 bags full of shoes, bags and coats and other sundry items in EXCELLENT shape and that I would just LOVE to donate, you would think I could find someone who would come get them? Maybe someplace to tell me where I can even drop them off?
Apparently not. Apparently free items are just a bit too much effort.

Her garb is not up for donation - it is already promised at her request - to the MS Prepare For Faire Sale. I will say this; if I don't hear from the last Vets place this week, I'll catch Cyd and see if our local MS chapter is interested.

*******


the photo was taken July 4, 2007 when a storm system came though.

No comments: