Thursday, October 18, 2007

Little did I realize


Yes ok I'm a bit oblivious at times. Everyone who knows me knows that. I can remember something so delightfully obscure that people questions its veriest existance and I can totally miss the most obvious of nuances.

Call it a gift.

Little did I realize when *something* - one of those somethings that I always listen to and invaribly regret when I do not - when that same something told me "keep blogger private" that it was speaking for a very important reason.

I'm now glad I listened. One day I might give this address out. I figure if people find me its for a reason. If not then maybe this will avoid some therapy bills eh?

*******

Yeah end of segue

*******

I will thenceforth (is that even a word? Please Stephanie) use this blog for the very things I need to get out but cannot due to privacy issues. Job. Family.

Jon.

Parkinsons.

It still gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes to write both of those words on the same page.

Jon. Parkinsons.

The symptoms were there but the very obliviousness that I think helped me survive my childhood sadly enabled me to ignore the most commonplace things: he had a tremor and stiffness both. Parkinsons. He got tired and shook more. Parkinsons. Difficulty swallowing. Parkinsons. Difficulty walking and balance.

Parkinsons.

The most obnoxious facet of this disease is you can't diagnose it. It's basically what's wrong when everything else has been ruled out. Well it's not a brain tumor, it's not a stroke, it's not Bells Palsy, it's not Dropsy or epilepsy or anything else so it's Parkinsons.

Part of me is so very angry because I actually *did* think this is what it was so many times. However we didn't plan quite right and got a diagnosis without getting life insurance first (can't now) or long term care insurance (nope to that one too) -- in essence it's like this disease has turned my life upside down without even asking me - and I'm not even the one afflicted.

OK yes that's childish and in truth I *am* going through the stages of grief (it appears I'm at anger at this point) even though he's still quite alive and will be (god willing) for a loooong time.

I am simply mourning my dreams.

Dreams of *us*

Dreams of old age and rocking chairs and peace instead of dreams as once again I will become a caregiver except it will be to one of the most important people in my life.

What if I don't have the patience?

What if I don't still have the skills?

What if I just can't?


The hardest part is I *need* to talk but he's not ready to. Not yet.

So I wait. And write. And watch.

A silent vigil begins, begging to rally against the fates when it's just one of those things that just happens.

One of those things that I just can't fix.

No comments: